[Edu-sig] Programming in High School

Winston Wolff winstonw at stratolab.com
Wed Dec 10 18:23:39 CET 2008

I agree that finding relevant problems that are easily solved with a
quickie program is hard to find. One idea I've been toying with at
Stratolab from our programming coures is having a programming game to
artificially create interesting quickie programs.

How about Robot Wars of the past, but you are writing your robot's
logic in Python? Each student writes a little program, drops them into
a folder on the network.  The teacher's computer is running an Arena /
Simulation. It checks the folder and loads any programs there and
starts the simulation. Robots that die get deleted from the folder so
students have to rewrite it and drop new copies in to see if they
survive.

-Winston