[Edu-sig] nouns and verbs

michel paul mpaul213 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 03:38:08 CEST 2008

Thanks for the thoughtful responses on this.  Yeah, a distinction between
nouns and verbs can't be made too rigid, as, for one thing, some words, like
'shout', can serve as either nouns or verbs depending upon context, and in
some languages, such as a designed language, such a distinction might not be
necessary, but there is an interesting contrast that naturally arises,
similar to the one between 'things' and 'processes'.  A related question I
had is whether nouns and verbs are processed differently in the brain?  From
what I've found, the current view is that, yes,  there are differences, but
there is of course lots of debate about the details.  The most recent views
explain the difference in terms of grammatical 'markers' associated with
noun or verb phrases, not the specific noun or verb itself.  "nouns and
verbs qua nouns and verbs are not represented in separate regions of the
brain."  I'm completely unqualified to really say anything further about
this, so see  Talking
Brains.<http://talkingbrains.blogspot.com/2008/08/representation-of-nouns-and-verbs-in.html>

It makes me wonder about how our brains process functions, as we can
understand functions as either 'nouns' (values) or 'verbs' (processes acting
on other values) or both.

Again, to summarize what prompted my original question, those high school
math texts that do describe math as a 'language 'typically will call the
comparison operators 'verbs', as they contain 'is'.  Expressions are not
considered complete statements.  Equations or inequalities are defined as
the only complete statements, and these are built from expressions.  Again -
that's how the high school texts typically present it.  However, it is
clearly the case from the discussion here that computational expressions can
indeed be interpreted as imperative statements.  And, as I mentioned, I bet
that most students and teachers automatically think of arithmetic
expressions in a computational or imperative way, especially in an age of
calculators, so it would seem that this could become part of the argument
for weaving computational thinking into the math curriculum?  We would be
giving them a richer language for expressing the kind of thinking they're
already inclined to do.  The block Parmenidean universe of traditional high
school math where nothing actually 'happens' is kind of distant from how
most kids naturally think.

- Michel