[Edu-sig] suggestion on using python robotics in class

Matt K matt.kameron at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 06:08:54 CEST 2007

Thanks for your thoughts!

Um yes Its RCX. We've got 10 RCX bricks and all the associated bits. I do
have budget to buy alternate options if necessary.

I did read about the NXT bricks and their ability to go wireless, although I
don't have one myself so am not in a position to easily test it. The Python
code you link to that interface does look useful, but doesn't contain demo
code to show what would actually need to be *written* by the student to make
their program. I'm a strong believer in hiding all the unnecessary details
from students so that they only learn the big-picture (they're young!), but
its hard to judge how possible that will be with this code snipper.

I also read other solutions which require the computer to be running Linux.
Students at my school each have the own laptops which are heavily
administered by IT (as I am sure you can imagine) and it would be impossible
to get Linux on them, so I do need a windows-friendly solution.

The Tux things seems like a great idea too, and I think I'll grab one of
them. However, I still would very much like to do the RCX/NXT thing if at
all possible!