[Edu-sig] OLPC G1G1 sales start today

Andrew Harrington aharrin at luc.edu
Mon Nov 12 18:18:58 CET 2007

I understood the time limitt had something to do with restrictions on
nonprofit status, though I am sorry I forget where I heard it -- maybe
laptop.org before the sale started.  I certainly agree that I would
want to at least make sure a friend of my kid in the same neighborhood
was doing the same thing, or buy double myself.

Andy

On Nov 12, 2007 9:31 AM, Michael Tobis <mtobis at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think this "limited time only" idea defeats the purpose of the whole
> software environment. Why should I buy a community building tool that
> will not be available to potential members of my local community?
>
> What are the prospects of a commercial product running the XO software system?
>
> I agree, I am tempted to buy four and get two rather than buy two and
> get one. That starts to be enough money that I hesitate though.
>
> I disagree about Java, though. I think that moves in the wrong direction.
>

> mt

Andrew N. Harrington
  Director of Academic Programs
  Computer Science Department