[Edu-sig] OLPC G1G1 sales start today

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Mon Nov 12 15:21:59 CET 2007

Key idea: a Python-powered laptop for the education in the developing world.

They are now taking orders from US and Canada for a limited time at:
 http://www.laptopgiving.org/en/index.php
where you essentially get one and give one for about $400 (plus about $25
shipping). Related news items:
  http://www.olpcnews.com/sales_talk/g1g1/give_one_get_one_has_started.html
  http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/11/12/138246

Just ordered two. Seems like you would need at least two to really see the
Python-powered networkable apps in action.

We have an (unreleased) early port of our plant drawing software to CPython
and PyGTK for the OLPC, developed under emulation; here are screenshots:
  http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com/olpc/
I'm not sure I'll want to release it if it runs too slow on the actual
hardware, as it took a speed hit moving from Delphi to Python, but maybe
some focused optimization might improve performance down the road.

What I'm hoping for someday is for the OLPC to run Java better so I can use
Jython on it. I prefer Swing to GTK. As when I asked about pyGTK before
here, pyGTK was difficult to get running on the Mac, so I'm not that happy
with it as a cross-platform solution (even if it installs easily on
GNU/Linux and Windows). I also like the option Java provides of
cross-platform fast code, rather than messing with semi-portable C and lots
of #ifdefs and corner cases. Still, "Sugarizing" an application kind of
locks it somewhat into the OLPC framework, and that would probably be true
even with Java.
  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Human_Interface_Guidelines
I know the hardware can at least just barely run Java:
 http://www.olpcnews.com/software/operating_system/pepper_pad_operating.html
  http://www.concord.org/publications/newsletter/2007-spring/probeware.html
  http://www.javalobby.org/java/forums/t85296.html
And there is some interest in making it work generally:
  "Javalobby calls for Java port to OLPC"
  http://www.linux.com/feature/119793
But then cell phones run Java, so why not the OLPC? So likely it will be the
next version before Java runs well with better hardware? Java was not truly
free when they began the OLPC project -- another opportunity cost of Sun's
policies. Anyway, I'm hoping for software upgrades for this one over time. I
like Jython+Swing+Java more and more everyday, now that Java is becoming
free. Since the OLPC runs open firmware,
  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OFW_FAQ
I may also find it works as a good Forth machine:
  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/FORTH
to replace my aging VIC and Commodore cartridges and embeddable F68HC11
single board computers, which I found a great way to learn about programming
in a bottom-up modular fashion.  And of course it runs a version of Squeak.

At the very least, it could be an interesting platform to do
GNU/Linux-oriented experiments with. (Like the Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 or the
Nokia N800). Here is a video of an OLPC running an iRobot Create:
  http://www.olpcnews.com/sales_talk/g1g1/give_one_get_one_sell_out.html
"Couple an OLPC with an iRobot Create to create a telepresence robot. Using
a simple web interface, users can drive the Create, monitor its sensor
readings, and explore the world across the internet through the attached
OLPC's webcam and microphone."
I'm hoping eventually I can get the OLPC to run a bluetooth usb module so I
could use it to control Lego Mindstorms NXT units (as I expect the OLPC is
going to be more rugged in the hands of a kid then leaving a regular laptop
on the floor by Lego).

I don't want to hype the OLPC too much (it's had more than enough hype
already :-), just to be a reminder for those who already want one for
whatever reason. There are also of course now several similar laptop
projects ongoing (with GNU/Linux running from Flash, although probably not
as rugged). I'm sure there will be lots of issues with the software (Sugar
still seems to be a work in progress) and maybe even the hardware (lots of
new stuff to fail). The overall experience may seem limiting for the
developed world, especially given a limited web browsing experience, see:
  http://www.laptopmag.com/Review/My-8-Year-Old-Reviews-the-OLPC-XO.htm

For example, I like the connectivist ideals of the Sugar interface; I'll be
curious to see how it works out in practice as opposed to just putting a
regular GNU/Linux desktop on there and having some tutorial information in a
native language. I know I found worrying about Sugar to be a big stumbling
block in my porting efforts, and the point at which my work on that stalled
(i.e. it works as a GTK app, but does not integrate well into the
moving-target OLPC Sugar world yet).

So, rather than see the OLPC as a finished thing, I see getting a couple as
R&D into the future of (Pythonic) computing, plus maybe something to help
someone somewhere. Plus maybe some inspiration for a new version of PataPata
(even as I am now moving that into a Java/Jython-only direction) or other
educational projects. I'm really looking forward to seeing if it can be used
easily in as an ebook reader in tablet mode -- maybe to look at some of
those million freed books that Raj Reddy of CMU and associates have scanned
as TIFF files and made available on the internet:
  http://www.library.cmu.edu/Libraries/MBP_FAQ.html
  http://www.archive.org/details/millionbooks
or the earlier Project Gutenberg 100000 book text-based archive:
  http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

The OLPC is something I hoped for (perhaps too optimistically time-wise)
seven years ago:
  "[unrev-II] The DKR hardware I'd like to make..."
  http://www.bootstrap.org/dkr/discussion/0754.html
I'm glad to see it happening, even with the rough edges.

Things will likely only get better from this. Another couple of years,
something like this may truly be $100. And might have lots of really awesome
constructivist and connectivist educational software, plus endless tutorials
and other adapted educational content, similar to:
  "Open-Source Early Literacy Materials Gaining Some Attention"
  "Learn to read as Starfall"
   http://www.starfall.com/

--Paul Fernhout