[Edu-sig] Let's work together on this...

Jeffrey Elkner jeff at elkner.net
Sun May 27 18:50:15 CEST 2007

Hi Jeff,

I really liked your posting from yesterday and think you are right on the mark with the benefit of creating a repository of programs for "new programmers".

I'm working with several student interns this summer developing curriculum materials for Arlington Public School's new "Intro to IT" course.  I plan to make the OLPC a center piece technology for that course.  We are working on a beginners graphics API called gasp:

https://launchpad.net/gasp

students love the power a library like this gives them to create fun to play games programs even as beginners.

Steve Holden was kind enough to stop by my school and give an impromptu demonstration of how to design a network game server for games like checkers and battleship:

http://linus.yhspatriot.net/cs/netprog/HomePage

I have my students working on versions of these games as end of year projects.  By mid July I will have the best results of their efforts polished up a bit, annotated, and put on the Python Bibliotheca:

http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/pyBiblio

I'll then be sure to edit your new wiki to fill in links to the work we are doing wherever appropriate.  What I like most about the wiki is that it will give us ideas for future projects.

Thanks for taking the time to set it up!

jeff elkner
open book project
http://ibiblio.org/obp

Jeff Rush jeff at taupro.com