[Edu-sig] [python-advocacy] education as Python killer app

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Sat May 26 21:53:03 CEST 2007

In a message of Sat, 26 May 2007 03:46:25 CDT, Jeff Rush writes:
<snip>

>I call that group "new programmers" - somehow calling them normal or average
>folk seems mildly insulting to someone, and calling them "non-programmers"
>isn't accurate if our goal is to teach them programming, albeit non-vocational
>style.  "Non-professional programmers"?  "Typical" people?  "Making People"
>Programming-Literate"?
>
>-Jeff

I think the word you are looking for is "amateur".  Unfortunately it
has bad connotations for some people.  So I think rather than focusing
on the _people_ and labelling _them_ we should focus on the code
and label _that_.

Amateur programs? Do-It-Yourself programs?  Home automation?
Practical Programming?

Laura