[Edu-sig] education as Python killer app

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sat May 26 17:19:17 CEST 2007

On 5/25/07, Jeff Rush <jeff at taupro.com> wrote:
> kirby urner wrote:
> >> The part that makes me especially queasy is the CP4E section on pages
> >> 10-11. I wish I had more to say there. It's fairly clear to those of
> >> us who weren't there that there were some problems, but it's not
> >> especially clear what they were or what we should learn from them. I'd
> >> very much appreciate input from those who were actually there!
> >
> > Where is "there" exactly?
>
> From his email, "there" are those who were involved in the CP4E project and
> who can tell us why it failed to reach fruition.  I've never found a good
> explanation myself, that didn't pull punches and told the story.

My view is CP4E is alive and well, achieving results daily.

> If we have the destination in common but do not agree on the path, we cannot
> share the journey nor the burdens thereof and must say 'fare thee well'.

Our destination is pretty much everybody programs, a taken for granted skill,
although "to program" means many things, doesn't imply mastery of Python.

> > Lots of proprietary stuff goes on that we only learn about on
> > edu-sig long after the fact -- and that's OK (not a problem).
>
> Sadly, these people miss out on a diversity of viewpoints, because they did
> not share their problems.  Perhaps that is their fear, that someone will solve
> them but not in a way to their liking and without their aid.  Better to keep
> the problems.
>
> -Jeff

It's not either/or.  Today's software is a mix and the same people may do
a lot of both.