[Edu-sig] Comments on Kay's Reinvention of Programming proposal (was Re: More Pipeline News)

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 16:25:36 CET 2007

On 3/18/07, Paul D. Fernhout <pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com> wrote:

> Thanks for posting that link.

Having given your lengthy analysis a single scan so far, I find we're sharing
some similar concerns about architecture:  so often in nature the rules are
different enough from level to level that you wouldn't *want* the same coding
language and/or development environment, let alone concepts, to permeate
all levels.

That's partly why we have such a diverse ecosystem to begin with.  This
effort to build from scratch to create a more uniform system from top to
bottom may be an inherently inefficient design, from the point of view of
division of labor and letting each layer follow it's own heart as it were.

But that's not to quibble with wanting to go ahead with *the experiment*
i.e. there's no point just arguing in a vacuum.

So, more power to 'em is my attitude.

On the other hand, we're *not* waiting for results to move ahead quickly
on other fronts, with our already proven technologies.  There's no sense
that this new project needs to be a bottleneck from a CP4E standpoint.