[Edu-sig] OpenGL 3D graphics in Jython easily deployable with jGL jar

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Mon Mar 12 14:40:13 CET 2007

I'm sad that Art is not around to discuss this, but I came across a 3D
graphics system for Java that supports most of OpenGL and is deployable
as a single jar file, meaning it is easy to include with a
Jython-powered Python application. It can be found here:
  http://graphics.im.ntu.edu.tw/~robin/jGL/
It's slower than native calls as it is entirely written in Java, but it
works on all Java platforms.

See my post here on the Jython Users list for more details and some
sample code for using it:
  "jGL: OpenGL 3D Graphics from Jython using pure Java jar"
http://www.nabble.com/jGL%3A-OpenGL-3D-Graphics-from-Jython-using-pure-Java-jar-tf3367107.html

In theory, you could make Jython systems which looked for JOGL (Java ->
OpenGL interface) and if was not present could use jGL if you stuck to
the restricted subset. This would make such pythonic 3D applications
easily installable anywhere Java was installed, even if Java addons like
Java3D or JOGL were not installed (which is not always the case).

--Paul Fernhout