[Edu-sig] Python in Secondary Schools

Anna Ravenscroft annaraven at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 19:24:18 CEST 2007

On 7/16/07, kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yet I got fan mail as well.
>
> I trust others on this list to give Sven the sound sober advice
> he's looking for.   I specialize in various brands of polemics --
> not to the exclusion of technical content though.
>
> Kirby
> newly back from Vilnius
> start teaching a new Pythonic Math class tomorrow morning
>
> On 7/17/07, Michael Tobis <mtobis at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I consider Kirby's a grossly inappropriate response to Sven's query.
> >
> > While I respect Kirby for his contributions I wish he would put a tiny
> > fraction of his attention into which of his posts were helpful to the
> > community and which not.
> >
> > Michael Tobis

Kirby and Michael,

as a parent, I agree with Kirby about the education system in this
country. Kirby, I suggest you join one of the many lists/groups on the
topic, including mathematicallycorrect.org and others. Save your
polemics for that community.

Michael, as a pythonista who is passionate about teaching all kids
about programming, I agree with you. This list needs to refocus on
Python in education. Posts that are about other, even related, topics,
need to be elsewhere.

Guido - thanks for posting the straw poll. (Note: a strawman is a
rhetorical device to distract a person from a logical argument...;-)

I look forward to having some time to actually participate in
discussions about Python in education.
--
cordially,
Anna