[Edu-sig] a non-rhetorical question

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 14:54:31 CEST 2007

On 7/6/07, John Zelle <john.zelle at wartburg.edu> wrote:

> I also like the string library for certain pedagogical reasons, but I don't
> think the Templates are compelling when you can do essentially the same thing
> with string formatting. Is the $ notation that much of a "win?"
>
> --John

Another reason to stick with string.Template for now might be that
string formatting with percent syntax is going away?

After all, Python 3000 is only about a year away, in alpha anyway,
with Python 2.6 containing a back port of many features.

Unless the whole string module is going away that is, but Guido
didn't say anything about that.

Googling just now leads me to think it'll stick around, but become
more unicode-savvy -- like the rest of the language.