[Edu-sig] a non-rhetorical question

Richard Guenther heistooheavy at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 10 19:22:44 CEST 2007

One thing that always comes up when our math department discusses non-standard algorithms is long division of polynomials.  Doesn't seem like any non-standard algorithm is easily applied there.

Changing the focus a little: I've been thinking of the importance of student motivation in learning a programming language.  I've always found The Python Challenge to be quite motivating to get me writing code and learning more about Python.  I don't know how it could be done, but could a similar approach be used to supplement a middle or high school programming class?  Any ideas?

Richard