[Edu-sig] a non-rhetorical question

Winston Wolff winstonw at stratolab.com
Sun Jul 8 21:12:47 CEST 2007

I have thought a lot about this.  I teach kids (aged 10-14 mostly) to
write video games using Scratch and Python.  They love it, but I'd
like to promote more community and make the classes a little more
"game like".  I've been thinking about old programming games like
Core Wars and Robot Wars and would like to make some newer version
like that.  Networked game play is an obvious improvement.  An easier
learning curve is important too.  I made a little prototype where
students could write code to control a robot in a field of robots
that would show up on the projector.  But the paradigm shift of
programming simple graphics to an event-based search and attach
program was too confusing for them.  I think a Scratch type
programming interface though would help things along beautifully.  Of
course I'd like to have a lower level Python interface too.

-Winston

Stratolab - video game courses for kids in new york - http://
stratolab.com