[Edu-sig] a non-rhetorical question

Dethe Elza delza at livingcode.org
Sun Jul 8 07:14:24 CEST 2007

On 7-Jul-07, at 9:04 PM, Andy Judkis wrote:

> I'm seriously thinking about using Scratch rather than Python, for
> just that
> reason -- the cool factor is built-in, it's as accessible as "if" or
> "while".

I haven't been actively trying to teach my kids to program, but they
know that's a big part of what I do (both for work and for fun), and
they like computers a lot.  I've attempted to put together an
environment to teach them Python a few times, but got bogged down
each time (too many projects). On the other hand, they both (my
daughter is 10 and my son is 6) picked up Scratch right away and have
been coming up with interesting ideas and uses for it ever since.
They give up their (very limited, we have strict limits for all
electronic media) time on the Nintendo DS in order to write Scratch
code.

Now my daughter is running into the limits of Scratch and her
ambitions are exceeding those limits (and where she goes, my son soon
tries to follow).  I'm beginning to show her the ropes with PyGame
and she is watching over my shoulder.  When a sprite moved down
instead of up when we pressed the up arrow, she said, "Let me fix
it!"  I handed my laptop over to her, she found the right spot,
flipped the minus sign, and we tested it.  So now she's fixed her
first bug in Python code, I figure she's hooked.

I've also got an order at Amazon for "Squeak: Learn Programming with
Robots" that Ted Leung talks about (comparing Squeak to Python for
his three daughters learning to use computers) here: http://
www.sauria.com/blog/education/1457.  Julie Leung has her own
perspective on it here: http://www.julieleung.com/archives/
002073.html.  This book has probably been mentioned here before,
given that Andre has the first comment on Ted's blog.  I don't yet
know whether Squeak or Python will win my kids hearts and minds
(maybe both?), but I do know Python and PyGame run on my new Nokia N800.

All of this is anecdotal and non-academic.  Just wanted to contribute
my data point to the discussion.

--Dethe

"The good thing about reinventing the wheel is that you can get a
round one." --Douglas Crockford