[Edu-sig] Python for math teachers (Google videos)

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sat Jan 27 01:21:52 CET 2007

kirby urner wrote:

> The *sounds* modest, yes, plus leaves you free to critique any actual
> implementation of a perspective as immodest.  Calling for perspective
> isn't really doing any work, is just being modest.  *Providing*
> perspectives
> is the name of the game.

PyGeo is interesting work.

My efforts to assist in provding VPython a future(lead actually, since
no one else has stepped up to the plate) is important work.

Immodest enough for you.  Feel better.

> Yet when I teach kids in this age group this stuff, mixed with a lot of
> math,
> they often clamor for more (as do their parents, others guardians -- one of
> the dads sat through much of my last class actually).

My intuition is that you are an excellent and intuitive teacher. Don't
know for sure.

> Geek culture is like a missing ingredient in their diet.  Geek culture
> seems
> *good* in at least *small* doses.  But right now, it's still *no* doses,
> pretty
> much across the board.  Just a lot of stereotyping, misleading TV and
> movies.
>
> And I dislike it surrounding the pontificating used to justify Algebra
> I, Algebra II,
> Geometry, Pre-calc, Calc (in whatever order), all undisturbed fossils
> for the ages,
> no chance of any Python unless we jump through stupid hoops proving over
> and
> over we're not just full of snake oil (got some __ribs__ in here too).

So much of the Grand Fallooning sounds like snake oil and *is* snake
oil, that particularly those trained in mathematics - in the art of
plausibility - will react, and over-react.

We agree about everything, except that we disagree about everything as well.