[Edu-sig] Tracing the Dynabook: A Dissertation

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sun Jan 21 21:46:28 CET 2007

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Actually, Squeak folks do fine. They're not flocking to Python, even
> though Paul (unfortunatly for us) left a few years ago. You may be
> confusing Alan Kay's reaching out to the Python community with what
> the Squeak community does.

>Two very different pairs of shoes.

Heartening to hear.

> Repeating this over and over does not actually make it true. People
> in OLPC have been empirically studying working with kids and
> computers longer than anyone else.

I have looked.  But I have not found.

I think what there is what comes after an acceptance - a radical
acceptance -  of ideas of technological determinism.  Fine-tuning the
inevitable.

I like geometry, and now architectures can be built from a few axioms.
Here it happens to matter, a lot, whether those axioms are true, and how
true. I haven't seen that work,  Sorry.

I should get along great with Paul.

I happen to be a big unschooling guy myself.

I encouraged it for my own son, after school.