[Edu-sig] Tracing the Dynabook: A Dissertation

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sat Jan 20 15:24:21 CET 2007

kirby urner wrote:
>> To assault this tradition in the name of geek culture is immature.
>>

> Dunno why you say "assault."  Geek culture contributes to academia, is
> contributed to by academia, but is not synonymous with it -- otherwise
> the word'd be too redundant to keep alive.

Enjoyed following the story of Coxeter (Cambridge, Princeton, U of
Toronto), and/vs Bucky (unaffiliated), followed initially from your
blog.  Recognize the clash of sensibilities some.

And the side story:

Seems that we might have more domes around if Bucky had more of an
OpenSoruce sensibility and hadn't patented the triangle ;)

And I suspect you might be less hostile sounding to academia if you were
not incited by its inability to get to 4 when counting the dimension of
apparent space.

Let it go.