[Edu-sig] An OLPC comment ("Why Educational Technology Has Failed Schools")

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Thu Jan 18 15:23:44 CET 2007

Bert-

Thanks for the kind words.

Well, I would not agree with everything he has to say, but I would expect
the Austrian Rudolf Steiner
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Steiner
   http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Steiner  [auf Deutsch]
as the originator of the "Waldorf education" method
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldorf_schools
   http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldorf-P%C3%A4dagogik  [auf Deutch]
might have written much in German? See here:
    http://www.sab.org.br/steiner/biogr-eng.htm
 From the English Waldorf link:
   "Waldorf education (also called Steiner education) is based upon the
educational philosophy of Rudolf Steiner, and stems from his
spiritual/religious philosophy anthroposophy. [1] [2] This sees child
development as a process of the child's soul and spirit incarnating into a
developing living, physical organism.[3] Waldorf education emphasizes an
imaginative and holistic approach to education.[4] Spiritual values are
central both to the curriculum [5] and to the training of teachers.[6] [7]
[8] [9] Waldorf education is practiced in more than 900 [citation
needed]established independent private Waldorf schools located in about
sixty different countries, in "Waldorf-method" government-funded schools,
in homeschooling environments; and in special education."

Personally I'm not into Waldorf education as a big picture, but I like a
lot of the parts, especially their stand against media for young kids. I'd
say the same about the Montessori method too (the other big well known
alternative).

And then of course there is bablefish automatic translator,
    http://babelfish.altavista.com/
though it is obviously an awkward mechanical translation:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=en_de&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.johntaylorgatto.com
[That link translates a page on Gatto's site from English to German and
continues to translate as you click on links; it breaks sometimes]
See also:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=en_de&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.johntaylorgatto.com%2funderground%2findex.htm
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=en_de&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.johntaylorgatto.com%2funderground%2ftoc1.htm

It's really interesting to at least try bablefish; it seems a miracle it
works at all; I've used it a couple of times for translating Spanish sites
about programming -- it's a funny experience to suddenly have such a site
in a different language make (some) sense..

All the best.

--Paul Fenrhout