[Edu-sig] VCBuild files

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sun Jan 14 23:20:32 CET 2007

Bruce,

I have committed a new directory to vpython-core2 called

VCBuild

It contains concise instructions (VCBuild.txt), a cvisual solutions
(cvisual.sln) file and project (.vcproj) files for booth_python,
boost_thread, and sigc.

It should allow you to do a build on Visual Sutdio 2005 C++ (either the
free Express version or full-blown) - totally avoiding bjam.

The common wisdom is that Python25 extensions for Windows should be
built with VC++2003, but I haven't seen a problem yet, and I am hoping
that since we are getting at Python via Boost we might be insulated from
these kinds of issues. but am not sure, and could just as well add files
for a VC2003 build for those who have access to it (there is no free
version available now, ASAIK)

I am hoping this will allow us to stay on the same page on Windows.

And I am also trying to take the advice from an edu-sig participant (I
think it was Scott David Daniels) that a sane build mechanism is
important for attracting developers to a project, and I myself found the
mingw/bjam combo a struggle.  It works OK when you stick strictly to the
script of INSTALL.txt, but for those of us who need to be a little
closer to the whys and wherefores and what ifs, it was a struggle to get
one's arms around coming into cold - particularly bjam.

I have done some clean-up on the source, nothing too substantive, but I
wanted to get to a VC++ build that would not be giving tons of warning
messages.  I have not committed those changes, pending your OK, so
expect tons of warning messages.

I am copying this to the edu-sig list, hoping someone out there might
bite at it, and jump-in some.