[Edu-sig] Reloading code (was Re: OLPC: first thoughts)

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 20:58:55 CET 2007

> One impressive thing about the Python design which I liked from all this
> was how Python separates the notion of execution code from a pointer
> reference. That is what makes all these reloading tricks possible. And my
> hat goes off to Guido for having included the extra level of indirection
> which makes this feasible. I can hope that generality and late bindingness
> might also make possible restarting an exception without VM changes.
>
> --Paul Fernhout

You might want to raise your ideas on the IronPython list as well.

As you know from vast Jython experience, there's no one Python VM,
but any number, depending on which people decide which system
language to use for that purpose.  So far, C, Java and C# have been
among the primary choices, but maybe those cell phones are using
something else.

I've seen demos of the Microsoft debugger stepping through Python
then switching to C# as it follows the source to a deeper layer,
then back out to Python again.  But I don't recall if the IDE permitted
editing on the fly or not, if paused at exceptions.