[Edu-sig] understanding recursion

Michel Paul mpaul at bhusd.k12.ca.us
Tue Feb 20 15:54:23 CET 2007

>why do you say "can't use" we can can just *redefine*

Oh, definitely.  I agree.  We certainly can and SHOULD have students learn to redefine what we mean by various operators.  In saying "can't use" I don't mean "can't EVER use".  : )  I just mean within the scope of this exercise.  Again, I initially meant this to be an exercise PRIOR to studying any particular language.  I think it's a good kind of math/CS exercise to have to analyze what we mean by simple integer operations that we normally take for granted, and this analysis naturally introduces recursion.  And I think it nicely blends in with ultimately redefining these operations for other data structures.

>But in Python, we have been, given looping constructs

Right.  Again, I just mean within the scope of the exercise.

Along this line, here's an interesting thing regarding GCF - suppose we have so far ONLY defined what we mean by greaterThan, lessThan, and difference.  With ONLY those definitions in place, we can define GCF:

  gcf(a, b):
    if a = b             ---> a
    if greaterThan(a, b) ---> gcf(difference(a, b), b)
    if lessThan(a, b)    ---> gcf(a, difference(b, a))

We can define gcf prior to defining division or mod.  I think that's kind of interesting.  But certainly, outside the scope of this set of exercises, it makes sense to use looping constructs, and Guido's gcf is pure beauty.