[Edu-sig] More on graphics with graphics.py (Zelle's)

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 06:01:18 CET 2007

On 2/12/07, John Zelle <john.zelle at wartburg.edu> wrote:

> Kirby (and others),
>
> I've had a number of questions lately about the slowness of my graphics
> library. I've noticed that some programs run well under Linux (my
> development
> platform) but run very sluggishly  under Windows. Was your testing on
> Windows? Just curious. If you do get a chance to try your code on both
> Linux
> and Windows, I'd like to know if you notice much difference. When I get
> some
> time (won't hapen until summer) I might have to dig in and try to address
> these performance issues on non-Linux platforms. If anyone has any
> thoughts
> on the source of this discrepancy, I'd love to hear them.
>
> --John

Yeah, right on.  I was using WinXP for the nks.py + canvas2.py + graphics.py
test, and getting every Rectangle triggering a canvas update, thereby
slowing
the rasterization.

I copied the same .py files to my Ubuntu box, and there's a delay, while the

entire canvas is populated behind the scenes, and then the Mayan Pyramid
pops up, already complete, just as it should.

Gregor's straight Tk version in canvas3.py doesn't update per Rectangle
on WinXP, when I comment out the canvas.update line per his notes.

I tried for like an hour to figure out where the canvas refresh was occuring

from your graphics.py and couldn't track it.  Your __autoflush method looks
good and I could detect no calls to Tk's root.update().

Appears to be a thorny problem.