[Edu-sig] Populating the lesson plans database: Squeak -> Python

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 18:33:13 CET 2007

On 2/11/07, Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> wrote:

<< snip >>

> But again, the problem was that somebody had taught me that something
> was _always true_ when the correct statement would be to say that
> _this is how we speak of it in this particular language community,
> but other communities do it differently_.
>
> So I'm a firm member of the 'give them as many languages as they
> are willing to learn' crowd, at any age.
>
> my 0.10 euros,
> Laura

I like your answer Laura.

You're in effect reminding students that we have many
namespaces (a concept integral to Python), and the
very same word *need not* mean the very same thing
across namespaces.

And thanks to dot notation, we have was to encapsulate
and insulate, to counter name collisions.

Something *like* dot notation, or dot notation itself,
would be welcome in philosophy, is my position on
wittgenstein-dialognet, precisely because philosophers
are always saying things like "if you don't mean
what *I* mean by 'gravity', why not call it 'shmavity'
instead?"

Computer science offers a more elegant solution.