[Edu-sig] meaning of +1

Dethe Elza delza at livingcode.org
Wed Feb 7 20:04:54 CET 2007

On 7-Feb-07, at 10:59 AM, Brian Blais wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am not asking an existential question about the meaning of the
> integer set, but
> rather what it means when someone writes in an email on this list,
> something like:
>
> +1
>
> I've never seen this on any other list (other than python lists).
> Is this just a
> short hand for "good comment", or is there a deeper meaning or
> purpose?

It's shorthand for "I approve and vote in favor of this direction,
proposal, critique, or whatever.

It is pretty common on lists which discuss the development of open-
source software, in order to coordinate loose federations of people
and test general consensus.

Variations include -1 (don't approve, vote no), +0 (vaguely approve,
but don't really care), -0 (vaguely disapprove, but not willing to
fight over it), +1000 (I really, really care deeply about this and
want it), -1000 (this is a really bad idea that I think will harm the
community), etc.

HTH

--Dethe