[Edu-sig] Interactive Tkinter graphics under IDLE

Peter Drake drake at lclark.edu
Wed Feb 7 01:12:08 CET 2007

I'm planning to keep things at a very low level throughout the
course. These students aren't ever going to be writing programs more
than ten or twenty lines long, so all of the OO machinery is
unnecessarily confusing. (I am, of course, not trying to start any
kind of paradigm war here; I'm just explaining where I'm coming from.)

I don't intend to have any buttons or other widgets; just a single
canvas on which lines, ovals, polygons, and text are drawn.

As for the window issue, it is an annoyance to have to explicitly
bring the graphics window forward every time you reload your program.
Is there no command I could put into the program to bring this window
to the front?

I may play with writing a procedural front end for Zelle's library.
Stay tuned.

Peter Drake
Assistant Professor of Computer Science
Lewis & Clark College