[Edu-sig] Turtle Graphics

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 17:09:00 CET 2007

Thanks Daniel, I was hoping you'd chime in as I think
of you when I think of Logo, as a true master thereof.

My own history takes me to McGraw-Hill, Avenue of
the Americas in the 1980s, where Nola Hague and
the gang were working on computer literacy textbooks
for the masses.  Back then, pre open source revolution,
we had like two choices:  Logo, with a flavor on the
Apple II, and BASIC, which tended to run on PCs, but
both could do both I think.  Memory fades.

Anyway, I'm glad you spell out some of the differences
below.  Given Logo is not used in industry and commerce,
I wouldn't worry about getting the syntax confused with
lots of dialects.  This is a sandbox, a place to have fun,
not a place to get a PhD in Logo Programming.  We
race through at high speed in my book (an expression
-- I'm more into blogging than book writing).

What I want both in CS0 (intro CS) and pre-college both
is a sense of "the language tree" ala that famous O'Reilley
timeline I like projecting.  Languages come and go, and
there're many more interesting things to say about them
than what's hot and what's not, many stories, many
lessons about the real world to absorb.

Kirby