[Edu-sig] The fate of raw_input() in Python 3000

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Wed Sep 13 19:09:08 CEST 2006

John Zelle wrote:

>So yes, we want our
>students to be reading cade, especially good code

How good?

Another subtle problem.

One of my difficulties in becoming self-taught fluent in certain
mathematical ideas:

Educators don't want to communicate something irresponsible in
connection with the concept of  rigor, in a field where rigor is to the
essence of things.  While at the same time the rigorous statement of
things can the impede the possibility of penetration, where a more
approximate presentation might be more to the pedagogical point.

What I have found that going to the source is often the best approach
(though often not).  Felix Klein types often seem more comfortable with
a more casual and relaxed presentation of their ideas, to a non-peer
audience, than do those charged with presenting Klein's ideas to others.
The educators seem to feel - the instinct is good enough - more
obligated to present Klein's ideas carefully, and therefore rigorously.
And seem to feel that only Klein himself has the right to let himself
off that hook.  Its almost a form of professional etiquette, it seems.
"Klein" meant here as a more general concept.

Fuller had the solution . Make believe the ideas were his, thereby
giving himself leave to present them anyway he chose .But that is a
concept hard to roll out. ;).

Teasing, Kirby.

Art