[Edu-sig] Edu-sig Digest, Vol 38, Issue 21

Toby Donaldson tjd at sfu.ca
Sun Sep 10 19:59:17 CEST 2006

> Now Python is evolving into Python 3000. Will a valid Python program be a valid
> Python 3000 program? This is important.

At Vancouver Python workshop this summer, Guido talked about this very
point. He mentioned two extreme examples: the current committe work on
C++, and Perl 6.

C++ is trying *very* hard to remain backwards compatible, while Perl 6
is not. He says he wants Python 3000 to be somewhere in the middle.

So source compatibility isn't planned, but migration tools are
planned. David Mertz's gives more details in a summary of one of
Guido's talks (from OSCON):
http://www-03.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/davidmertz?entry=second_day_python_3000

For the kind of simple programs that appear in beginning programming
courses, I expect around 100% of the code to be trivially convertible.

Toby
--
Dr. Toby Donaldson
School of Computing Science