[Edu-sig] The fate of raw_input() in Python 3000

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 03:05:12 CEST 2006

On 9/4/06, Andre Roberge <andre.roberge at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thoughts?
>
> André

I tend to agree with you.  sys.stdin feels like some musty academic
coming in, trying to "prettify" in the sense of nail down according to
some vogue theory.  Takes away a raw edge.  Most think that's a *good*
thing, but I'm not so sure.  Feels like creeping bureaucracy.

But remember, we can always pick a "golden age" version and stick to
it.  Maybe it's 2.5 for all I know.  This 3000 thing could be an "over
the hill" version for party hacks and kiss asses (trying to ingratiate
themselves with an ancient BDFL).  ;-)

On the other hand, this is my first time to give the matter much thought.

Remember too, can't we always write and include a module like "retro"
wherein we go raw_input = sys.stdin.readline and then continue on our
merry way?  Call it a "soft fork"?