[Edu-sig] The fate of vpython

davelist at mac.com davelist at mac.com
Tue Oct 10 13:29:26 CEST 2006

On Oct 9, 2006, at 7:41 PM, John Zelle wrote:

>>> Here I finally get to strongly disagree.  Vpython IMO should remain
>>> stand-alone, light-weight.  Please, please.
>>
>> VPython is only lightweight conceptually.  Boost and C++ are not
>> lightweight, in my book.  Again, I could only see it going this way
>> if there was a library that was easy to install (so that VPython
>> became easier to install than it is now), and that doesn't exist
>> right now (not for the three main platforms).
>>

> Just curious, is PyOpenGL easy to install for both Mac and Windows?
> I know
> it's dead simple on most Linux distributions. I think it's pretty
> easy for
> Windows, but have no experience at all on the Mac.

Someone has made binaries for it (and a number of other Python add-
ons) at:

http://pythonmac.org/packages/py24-fat/index.html

It appears I also have pyopengl from fink.sf.net on my system.

I've used the "python setup.py install" method for some Python add-
ons, but don't remember if I tried that on PyOpenGL.

Dave