[Edu-sig] The fate of vpython

Arthur Siegel ajsiegel at optonline.net
Tue Oct 10 01:11:18 CEST 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 17:10 -0500, Ian Bicking wrote:

> In my experience build difficulties are a major hinderance to developer
> participation.  It's really (really!) worth figuring out build issues.

Not sure there is any getting around the fact that Boost is quirky - its
own (bjam) build mechanism, the way it installs (or doesn't) its
libraries,etc. It makes sense, standalone.  But it is its own world
view, and therefore its own learning curve.

Everything else is pretty vanilla on the VPython3.xx branch.  Things on
the 4.xxx trunk get somewhat worse, since the dependencies begin to get
pretty esoteric - getting us into things like gtkglextmm, the C++
compatible version of the gtkgl extension.

It seems to me that the real problems are in an area that one would
think would be simple - only a context for OpenGL to draw and which
responds to basic mouse events and which doesn't need to be able to do
much else.

Why not togl across platforms???