[Edu-sig] The fate of vpython

Arthur Siegel ajsiegel at optonline.net
Mon Oct 9 22:28:25 CEST 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 10:54 -0700, Dethe Elza wrote:My other hope for
VPython would be to build it on a more capable 3D
> system, such as Ogre or Panda3D (Mike Fletcher keeps a large list of
> such systems: http://www.vrplumber.com/py3d.py).  In this scenario,
> VPython would be an easier entry point into one of these more capable
> (and correspondingly more complex) systems

Kirbyish thought -

For those students moving in the direction of Ogre and Panda3D (in my
view not necessarily a significant portion of those who might find
something like VPython fun and interesting, at any rate):

present VPython as a level to be beaten, with a definition of "beating
the level".  The fact that there is no way to get to the Level 2 without
beating Level 1 would be second nature to them. Beat VPython *and then*
we install Panda3D.  Should take them a few months of real work.
Minimum.