[Edu-sig] Python for Halloween

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 18:49:54 CEST 2006

Something about using 'ghost' in place of 'self' in a Shell class
(allusion to anime as well).

Maybe I did something like this last year (having deja vu again).

But I'm realizing edu-sig is no longer a preferred venue for my
curriculum writing.

I'd rather huddle with MIT, Bruce Sherwood, Alan Kay and play
*against* Arthur's team.

Arthur, you make too many enemies too quickly and too easily.

Even more, I'm into my Portland Knowledge Lab (PKL) business (gotta
pay that rent today) and want to make lots of Python and Synergetics
teaching cartoons for HDTV (my Saturday Morning meme), with lots of
brand name sponsors.

But here is not the place to brainstorm in safety.  Too many prying
eyes and self-appointed kibbitzers.

So I'm actually resigning this time.  Don't expect me back any time
soon.  Probably won't be tracking either, at least not with any
frequency.

For me, it's a tilt towards private lists and closed source
development (not exclusively -- I'm still a big supporter of a strong
public sector).

I'm learning why open source is a bad idea sometimes.

I've talked to Stallman about this, though he probably doesn't
remember -- I was in his audience in Portland and asked about
situations when "they" simply *don't deserve* your best code.

But I think more it's a matter of not wanting to show unfinished work
(a big no no in Fuller's self discipline, according to 'Critical Path'
I think it was).