[Edu-sig] PySqueak: more on the cultural divide among paradigms

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Fri May 5 23:56:05 CEST 2006

On 5/5/06, Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote:
> kirby urner wrote:
> > The PySqueak effort (badly named?) is more like the VPython effort.
> > Its aim is to give us a sophisticated back end graphics engine to dink
> > around with.
>
> I thought there was some idea about an IDE, ala Squeak; or at least I
> assume this is what Paul was thinking about.  Is any IDE or interactive
> environment planned, or just a graphical environment?

I was thinking the low level API to the graphics engine would then
allow developers to build their various IDEs, much as GTK does, except
the widgets would be more 3D.  The source code for these IDEs could be
Python, but if multiple language bindings are supported, could just as
well be some other language.

In my view, a generic graphics engine that doesn't hard-code or
hard-specify a particular IDE would give us more freedoms.  But
there'd have to be an event model and so on, so a lot of thinking
about how to support graphical IDEs would be a part of the engine.