[Edu-sig] PySqueak: more on the cultural divide among paradigms

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Fri May 5 22:08:47 CEST 2006

On 5/5/06, Paul D. Fernhout <pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com> wrote:

> compromises with. Will PySqueak be a compromise or an innovation (or
> both)? It remains to be seen.
>
> Trying to keep this short, but failing. :-)
>
> --Paul Fernhout

I think we may be on different planets but I'm not sure.  :-D

As I understand it, PySqueak is not about changing existing Python
syntax.  Python syntax is controlled by Guido working with pydev
people, and is moving towards Python 3000, so-called.  The changes are
incremental and have nothing much to do with the PySqueak effort.

The PySqueak effort (badly named?) is more like the VPython effort.
Its aim is to give us a sophisticated back end graphics engine to dink
around with.

Given this engine, Python developers might write apps friendlier to
young children, using animation and almost-no-typing-needed
interfaces.  We could compete with the newer Logos, which leave the
older ones in the dust, visually speaking.

The very same engine would have lots of applications in an adult
context as well.

This is NOT about Python changing significantly as a language, moving
to some new paradigm or yadda yadda.

In my view, Python is a mature language undergoing consolidation, is
not on the brink of some major overhaul.

True, it's being reimplemented in C# for some platforms, as it was in
Java (with Jim's leadership in both cases).

The new graphics engine I envision might well be an outgrowth of that
Mono/.NET effort.  Only time will tell.

In the meantime, we already have working, Ubuntu-compatible versions
of Logo, Squeak and Python.

My info is the Shuttleworth Foundation is in no way holding its breath
waiting for these newer tools to come over the horizon, exciting
though these may be.

In terms of going ahead with implementation, we already have
sufficient toyz.  Curriculum writing is proceeding apace on that
basis.