[Edu-sig] From europython -- should we do Python for kids?

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Thu Mar 23 07:05:01 CET 2006

In a message of Thu, 23 Mar 2006 06:17:42 +0100, Gregor Lingl writes:
>Laura Creighton schrieb:
>> I think doing this would be fun.  Since the CFP hasn't gone out
>> yet, we haven't really organised ourselves all that well yet.
>>
>> But I think that Introductory Python is a good idea.  I wonder if
>> a separate Python-for-the-kids section would be good as well, and
>> how many kids we could get to Europython if we offered this?
>>
>> What do other people think of this?
>>

>I'm considering to attend Europython this year - as it will take place
>in Switzerland, which is not far from Austria ;-) and also after the end
>of the school year in (eastern) Austria.
>
>Moreover I considered to give a short talk about, or presentation of,
>the turtle module I'm currently developing.

Please do.

>Incidentally I've written a book "Python für Kids" (in German), a second
>  edition of which I'm going to prepare this summer.

Make a talk about this, also.

>So you can imagine that  I would definitely be very interested in some
>event like the one you proposed - as well as to further the use of
>Python in education in general.
>
>As far as I know there was an educational track last year at Europython.
>   Will this also be the case this year. What will (or should) be the
>relation to "Python for kids" that track? (part of? replacement?)

Yes, there will be an education track.  I am chairing it.

>** Oh, I just noticed that your posting was a reply to some posting
>elsewhere.**

Yes, a posting to the europython mailing list.  But I told them
to come here to discuss what the education track should be doing.

We have the freedom to do whatever we want as part of Europython.
The question is, what do we want to do?  I know some people from
South Africa are coming, and would like to discuss 'teaching
scientific computing using Python in South Africa'.  I told Kirby,
who is going to the Mark Shuttleworth computers and education
bash (which is happening __real soon__, no? ) to be on the look out
for interesting people to invite to Europython.

The plan is for the Call for Proposals to go out today sometime,
and then we can get a better picture of who wants to present
what, but since this is a self-organising conference, the only
real rule is 'what we get depends on what we do'.

So I want to open this up for discussion.  What do we want to
accomplish and how?

>In principle I also can imagine to give some beginner course ...
>
>Sorry for ending this posting so abruptly - it's early in the morning
>here and I've to go to work. Will be back in the evening.

Here too, and I am off to work as well.

Take care,
Laura