[Edu-sig] [edupython] Re: News about turtle graphics

Gregor Lingl glingl at aon.at
Fri Jun 23 17:07:12 CEST 2006

Vern Ceder schrieb:
> Gregor,
>
> Well done! xturtle.py is a truly impressive re-implementation and
> enhancement. I ran all of the demos without problems on a Linux (Ubuntu
> Dapper) machine and was very impressed with the speed, as well as the
> number, variety and quality of the demos.
>
> I would certainly think that (after testing ;) ) xturtle might replace
> the current turtle.py.
btw, who is responsible for a decision about this? I even don't know
whom I should contact.
I think you should know ;-)
> I had also been thinking about what would be
> involved in porting turtle.py to Jython and your refactoring makes that
> a much more appealing possibility.

If you have more concrete ideas concerning this, please let me know.
> I saw that you were presenting at EuroPython - best of luck with that
> presentation. I'll be presenting on Python programming at NECC, a
> national educational computing conference, on July 7, so if you don't
> mind I will mention xturtle then.

Of course not. (Naturally) I'm very interested in making xturtle
pupular. I did it because I'm
convinced that it could help popularize (is this an English word?)
Python in the educational
arena as well as make life of the educators a bit easier (and funnier (-
in the sens of 'Have fun!')).

> One final thought - even though the file is large, I would consider
> including at least some demo code in the file itself. Maybe it's just
> me, but I like the idea of being able to demo the module even if it gets
> separated from all other files in the package. Things like that can
> happen. :)

That's right. One could use 'oldTurtleDemo.py' for this (now that gets
imported). I'll think about it
and perhaps I'll have some ideas to make it more funny .... I'll do a
proposal.

(I'm glad, that  all of you expressed, that you like xturtle much!)

Best wishes
Gregor