[Edu-sig] PySqueak: pyGTK & Cairo & pygtkglext (OpenGL) next?

Brad Miller bmiller at luther.edu
Sat Jun 3 14:58:53 CEST 2006

Paul,

 From a Mac user's perspective I think the answer is probably not.
This approach would  put PySqueak  on a similar trajectory as vpython
which requires us to use X11 on the mac in order to get GTK and
friends working. Further, this arrangement forces us to make separate
builds of python using fink or darwin ports, which in turn gives us
two separate python installations on our Macs.

Several have tried to port vpython to a native (non-X11-dependent)
implementation on the mac over the last few years but nobody has
succeeded yet.  There is some work in GTK+ 2.9.x to get a native port
of GTK working on the mac.  Maybe when this effort is finally
successful then native versions of vpython and other packages will be
easier.

So, personally I would be sad to see PySqueak head down this road.
But I also think that the effort required to get everything working
under X11 would be too difficult for many beginners.

Brad