[Edu-sig] Python-Only Moodle?

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 00:51:20 CET 2006

I see that the backup of the moodle appears to contain everything needed to
restore it elsewhere.  It also comes with an unencrypted username, and an
encrypted password (MD5?).  If I publish my zip backup to the Internet,
inviting Pythonistas to restore it within their own Moodles, if wishing to
subscribe to my courseware, then they might want to replace my
username/password with one generated locally.

If my content is used, I would appreciate if some note was made that I'm not
actively maintaining it directly, i.e. it's a sysop function to download and
upload, whereas I may not even have access into the account.  A similar
policy would hold on my end:  if you let me use your content, but don't have
an account on my moodle, I'll let the public know that, if I choose to
subscribe.

Another way to go would be to give me a username and password and get them
to me securely, with the password in both plaintext and hash form (either
that, or we nail down the hash algorithm, so I can run it on my side -- but
without needing to set up anything new in Moodle).  Then I could backup from
my Moodle, replace the info below, log in to your Moodle and restore.  This
would be more work for me, but I could see developing this form of
relationship in a few cases.

Kirby

>From moodle.xml a 100,135 byte file inside the backup.  Picture files (of
which I have only four so far, 2 pngs and 2 jpegs) get stored separately
(note:  I monkeyed with the hash, so don't expect to a dictionary attack
will work).

- <#> <USERS>
 - <#> <USER>
   <ID>13</ID>
   <AUTH>manual</AUTH>
   <CONFIRMED>1</CONFIRMED>
   <DELETED>0</DELETED>
   <USERNAME>kurner</USERNAME>
   <PASSWORD>73c4bbb8w65b4fea366e743b6ce48541</PASSWORD>
   <IDNUMBER>CS201</IDNUMBER>
   <FIRSTNAME>Kirby</FIRSTNAME>
   <LASTNAME>Urner</LASTNAME>
   <EMAIL>kirby.urner at gmail.com</EMAIL>