[Edu-sig] Textbooks

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sat Feb 25 19:11:56 CET 2006

Paul Barrett wrote:

> The multidimensional array modules in their various incarnations,
> Numeric, Numarray and Numpy - with the Numpy being the latest and
> hopeful last - are based on J's array semantics and behaviour.  So in
> some sense, you can teach J programming concepts by using Numpy.
>
> Have you you tried Numpy?

I am glad to see the Numeric, NumArray, Numpy line mentioned in the
context of Python and education.  It is, was and has been essential for
me in the learning experience I have undertaken with Python. No question
that I would have passed Python by early in the game if it was not
there.  (JIm Huginin, late of IronPython (i.e. .Net Python started the
processs, if I understand correctly)

And I am routing for its eventual inclusion in the standard Python
distribution.

Art