[Edu-sig] Textbooks

Chuck Allison chuck at freshsources.com
Sat Feb 25 06:18:16 CET 2006

J is a reincarnation of Iverson's APL, an array processing language
(witness the example below). It has its nice features, but is off
topic for this list.

g99a> You may want to teach J first, in addition, or instead.  http://www.jsoftware.com/

g99a> Also FREE.    J is the creation of Turing Award winner Ken
g99a> Iverson and his colleague Roger Hui.

g99a> "J is a modern, high-level, general-purpose, high-performance
g99a> programming language. J is portable and runs on Windows, Unix, Mac,
g99a> and PocketPC handhelds, both as a GUI and in a console. True
g99a> 64-bit J systems are available for XP64 or Linux64, on AMD64 or Intel
g99a> EM64T platforms. J systems can be installed and distributed for free."

g99a> Examples:

g99a> 5 + 5
g99a> 10

g99a>    ADD =. +

g99a>    5 ADD 5
g99a> 10

g99a>    +/ 3 4 5 8 12 45
g99a> 77

g99a>    ADDtheseNumbers =. +/

g99a>    ADDtheseNumbers  3 4 5 8 12 45
g99a> 77

g99a>  2 + 5 6 7
g99a> 7 8 9

g99a>    i. 6
g99a> 0 1 2 3 4 5

g99a>    power =:  ^
g99a>    x power 2

g99a>    x =. 3 4 5 6
g99a>    x power 2
g99a> 9 16 25 36
g99a>    2 power x
g99a> 8 16 32 64

g99a> J comes with many tutorial labs as part of the IDE.

g99a> J processes vectors and arrays with ease.

g99a> J forums have many J'ers willing to guide.

g99a> regards,
g99a> gerry

g99a> "If your only tool is a hammer, all of your problems tend to
g99a> look like nails".  (author unknown)

g99a> ----- Original Message -----
g99a> From: "Peter Chase" <pchase at sulross.edu>
g99a> To: <edu-sig at python.org>
g99a> Sent: Friday, February 24, 2006 3:29 PM
g99a> Subject: [Edu-sig] Textbooks

g99a> I'm teaching some prospective K-12 teachers this summer and propose to
g99a> introduce them to Python.  Reasons are numerous
g99a> -   It's the least weird language I know.
g99a> -   It offers so many programming styles.
g99a> -   And not least, it's free

g99a> SO:  Any recommendations as to course textbooks?  Or just go with Zelle
g99a> and/or O'Reilly's latest wood rat book?
g99a> -   The students presumably have had programming courses already.
g99a> -   I would think that K-12 students would be happier if they could
g99a> generate some graphics.
g99a> -   This is a 6-weeks course.  Little leisure time.

g99a> Appreciate any advice.

g99a> Peter Chase
g99a> Sul Ross State University

g99a> Edu-sig mailing list