[Edu-sig] Textbooks

w chun wescpy at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 22:06:09 CET 2006

On 2/24/06, Peter Chase <pchase at sulross.edu> wrote:
> I'm teaching some prospective K-12 teachers this summer and propose to
> introduce them to Python.

peter,

i've been teaching programming to people (kids, adults, everywhere in
between) for 24 years now.  when i learned python back in 1997, i
didn't find a good enough book meant to LEARN *and* TEACH Python with.

so.... i wrote my own: Core Python.  Prentice Hall/Pearson published
by book in 2001... http://corepython.com

it's the best book for teaching, and it's not just because i'm a
programmer and the author, but more importantly, a technical trainer.

there are more exercises (easy, hard, everywhere in between) in Core
Python that in all other Python books combined.  it is targeted
towards secondary schools, universities, and vocational and
professional continuing education institutations.

i'm currently working on a 2nd edition of the book, to be released
late summer, somewhat too late for you, but the 1st edition is still
around (but out-of-print), and the material is still relevant and not
obsolete, even if it came out in the 2.0 timeframe.

one weakness that i would like to address in future editions is to
have more of the fun, graphics stuff that i've seen recently.  it
would be a great addition for those like yourself considering it for
the younger crowd.

if you're interested in it, let me know, and if you would like to
review the 2nd ed or *be* a reviewer for 2nd ed, let me know, and i'll
put you in touch with the folks from Prentice Hall.

cheers,
-- wesley
    http://corepython.com

wesley.j.chun :: wescpy-at-gmail.com