[Edu-sig] Learning (some more) programming

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Wed Dec 27 17:32:50 CET 2006

Arthur wrote:

>The analysis/understanding of dense working code is to me the starting
>point.  Understanding something of the language anatomy is a byproduct
>of that effort, not the focus of it.
>
>I feel strongly that this top->down approach to learning in relationship
>to programming, rather than an atomic bottom->up approach approach, is
>not generally given its do.

To state the somewhat obvious -

I have been at this general game now for some time, so that I am not
suggesting that something like the VPython code is a reasonable place to
start for someone who has not been.

I am suggesting that readability has been a focus of the Python language
from its inception, and that fact makes this general approach more
realistic at an early stage of the game than it would otherwise be.

And that teaching methodologies that do not take advantage of this fact
- by staying too atomic  -  are perhaps not taking as much advantage of
what Python has to offer at the introductory level then it might.

In learning C++ I am spending 98% of my time reading, 2% writing.

Much the same was true of learning Python at an early stage, at a stage
where reading C++ at all was well out of my reach.

I am now simply a more sophisticated reader.  But reading remains at the
core of my learning experience.