[Edu-sig] slashdot: Teaching Primary School Students Programming?

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Tue Aug 29 02:12:23 CEST 2006

kirby urner wrote:

> On 8/28/06, ajsiegel at optonline.net <ajsiegel at optonline.net> wrote:
>
>> Cynical Arthur would welcome the ability to exercise his imagination
>> in the
>> creation of animated cartoons that expressed his imagination, by way of
>> computer technology.
>

> Good.  Cynical Kirby looks forward to viewing some of Cynical Arthur's
> cartoons.

Well this field is not totally unknown to Silly Arthur, who has a small
repetoire of claymations and other animations that one can accomplish by
single framing with a movie camera (Bolex 8mm, tool of choice).  In the
can, as we filmmakers say.

And I have been collecting random vintage 16mm footage over the years -
home movies, etc. from garage sales, antique stores, and such.  The
master plan is to find a way to economically and adequately digitize
what I have (telecine is the general term for the technology) and then
go play - recognizing the considerable advantage of digital editing over
cut and splicing.  Technology might also come into play in doing some
offbeat colorization of black and white footage, and even perhaps
exploring some of the technology available to 3d-ize still images.
Soundtrack sync, of course.  Perhaps even soundtrack production.

A point is that if the point is to get imaginations exercised and
realized in this general realm, for children particularly, purely
digital, synthetic production is way, way the long way around.  More an
excuse not to do it, than an avenue towards doing it.