[Edu-sig] slashdot: Teaching Primary School Students Programming?

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 19:33:28 CEST 2006

On 8/28/06, Arthur <ajsiegel at optonline.net> wrote:

> The solution is simple - simplicity, less environment.
>
> Why is this obvious to me, and lost on the MIT folks?
>
> Art

Is it the MIT folks behind the slick new Logo environments, with all
the eye candy?  I'm not up to date.

I think we need to respect that people have different career goals,
even when very young.  To be a "prodigy" doesn't mean you're a cookie
cutter copy of the "prodigy" in the seat next to you.

For some, the eye candy aspect *is* the point.  Just moving a stupid
turtle around is boring boring boring, and we understood all about it
the very first day (and so what?).

Geometry, so what?

Some people think that way.  Do we beat them into submission then,
just because "we" find Geometry beautiful all on its own?