[Edu-sig] Teaching programming to physics students - reprise

Peter Bowyer peter at mapledesign.co.uk
Thu Aug 10 23:24:14 CEST 2006

Hi,

For all of you who were interested, I've put the final version of my
Masters' project report online at
http://peter.mapledesign.co.uk/writings/physics/teaching-introductory-programming-to-physics-undergraduates.pdf.

The project has proved successful, as the school of Physics at the
University of Southampton made the decision to use Python for all
undergraduate physics courses using programming in the 2006/07
academic year (introductory programming course, equipment control in
laboratories, and computational physics course).  As yet it remains
to be seen whether the approach used to teach programming will
change, or just the language used.

I will be returning on a voluntary basis in October to assist in the
teaching laboratories and monitor the impact changing to Python has
had on the understanding of the students.  Any suggestions as to how
to measure their understanding would be gratefully received, as the
questionnaire I used last time didn't get very good responses!

I'd like to thank this group for your input last year, and
particularly to Bruce Sherin and Hans Fangohr for their extended
emails over the year.

Peter.

--
Maple Design - quality web design and programming
http://www.mapledesign.co.uk