[Edu-sig] Smalltalk syntax benefits

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Aug 10 19:50:46 CEST 2006

Paul D. Fernhout wrote:
> Again, just because Smalltalk has this and Python does not does not mean
> I'm saying "use Smalltalk". I'm just saying, how can Python get this
> feature? Maybe it can't. Then my next thing is, can the two syntaxes live
> side by side -- a possible area for exploration.

Croquet allows this, e.g., you can write:

OpenGL>>drawRect: rect
   self
     glBegin(GL_QUADS);
       glVertex2f(rect left, rect top);
       glVertex2f(rect right, rect top);
       glVertex2f(rect right, rect bottom);
       glVertex2f(rect left, rect bottom);
     glEnd().

The idea was to leverage existing API documentation (in particular for
OpenGL).

Cheers,
   - Andreas