[Edu-sig] Version 0.2.03 of PataPata released (adds Jython/Swing support)

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Wed Aug 9 00:03:23 CEST 2006

Tony-

Thanks for the tests. So, you got the same error on just one platform.
Maybe an interaction of that version and perhaps line endings like Arthur
suggests?

Yes, xturtle is not in the Jython version as it is a library written for
TK by someone else (Gregor Lingl) -- though in theory it could be ported
(not sure how much work for someone). Sorry, I should have mentioned that
somewhere. I also have a 3D turtle of our own I might put in there down
the road (when I finish porting it from Delphi).

And yes, I too think the Jython version is sluggish in several ways,
compared to TK. Some of it might be how I am using a glass pane for some
events, or might be some other issues. I'm assuming the dispatching
approach I use is not the culprit (as not much is being done by the
prototypes yet other than passign through some limited data). Definitely
sluggish in redrawing when you drag; I tried to improve on that for quite
a while with yields and sleeps and so on, but could not get it to work
better. Hopefully mucking around some more with other approaches with
Swing could fix some of that?

--Paul Fernhout