[Edu-sig] PC terminology to end processes? (was Re: Tips ...)

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Thu Apr 27 07:00:14 CEST 2006

kirby urner wrote:
> On 4/26/06, Paul D. Fernhout <pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com> wrote:
>> I see the value in encouraging kids to have a sense of their own power,
>> but I have a script on my system (just for myself) which lets me type
>> "stop" instead of "kill".
>
> I'm disgusted that "kill" isn't politically correct enough.  We're
> engineers, not politicians.

I like kill too.  It's like the difference between "self" and "this";
self is the personification and anthropomorphic form, and this is the
object form.  I like self more.  I like metaphors.  And putting science
fiction and theatric effect aside, I can't imagine any future where
killing processes is at all related to killing people, so I don't think
it can be taken too seriously.

--
Ian Bicking  |  ianb at colorstudy.com  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org